Tuesday 9 March 2010

Now time to fight back

Well still on the nigtsift and it is really takin its toll.
Most of you know what the night shift is, yes staying up late and working. But I am doing 8pm till 8am. Add on three to four hours travel and it is a very long day.
In Europe you have to by law be offered a medical before undertaking te shift. Guess what company did not offer me one? Uh hu yup siree my company has not done that, I am now getting my fellow workers complaining of ill health while doing the shifts.
I have a good bit of knowledge on this as I worked before on a shift pattern and have first hand experience.
Where do we start...

Ah very easy sleep patterns.

Yes you do loose a good bit of your mind while trying to sleep at 2pm in the day. The kids outside making noise, the postman at the door, phone ringing. All the things you would expect but even after six hours sleep you will awaken to feel like you ave been run over by a steam train.
Now this is easy to have an opinion on as we have all felt tired but te way you feel is more of a mental problem. Much research done in the last decade has shown a big rise in mental disorders on people wo do shifts. It could be depression to insomnia. Not nice is it.

Missing your life/friends/family.

Ok you all do this when working but how bout not seeing yer friends at all in a six week period. Or even getting out the house. I get up say 3pm, get washed and ready to go out, on bus and at the shops at say half five. No use as in the UK most are closed about five.
It is also a bugger to meet friends as they tend to meet at weekends and I seem to be working them all the time so a few beers and a natter is out.
Seeing family is an odd one as you can again miss much of this due to the shifts. And when you do meet up you can be in a state of real sleepiness or worse (See above)

Physical Health.

As you eat at night your body wants to store the food as fat as it is thinking you will be in bed soon. My workmates have both put on a bit of beef due to eating chips and Curry's at night. Also exercising can be missed due to being knackered or just plain having no time.
After about 12 weeks you can easily put on a stone and feel really bad for it as the food you eat is so bad. Any work done before like weight lifting can be reversed and you will be back a square one.
Also accidents are more likely on a night shift due to people being more tired. I have already went roiling down a motorway embankment after tripping in bad light. Mind you it was comical so that is ok.

Something I ave seen in first sight is people develop drinking and drug problems. Even myself has at times went out totally knackered and got pished due to the above reasons.
I have seen many people turn up at work drunk and or on drugs for a night shift. Again I have told all this to my workmates and to my boss. But it seems to fall on deaf ears. We have a night out next month and I bet the two most drunken people will be the people I am working with.

No comments:

Post a Comment