Saturday 27 March 2010

The light can be seen at the end of the tunnel

A picture of light at the end of the tunnel.




Wow, Now close to ten weeks on a constant night shift and it is drawing to a close.

I have in this time growing back my balls and have been giving out abuse big time to my fellow employees.

The highlight was the e mails that went back and forth from myself and the company Managing Director. I just seemed to get more and more cheeky and insulting but done in the right way.
Basically I am right and he is wrong, a person who admits their mistakes are few and far between. This man has an idea and will not change his mind.

I am doing the night shift for a favour to him, but not long into it the knifes are out and targeted for my back. He will not pay for the extra time on site. 60 hour week is paid at a 40 hour week.
Now under the minimum wage law I should be paid minimum of £5.85. Adding up the 60+ week I find the company has in fact broken the law and in an area that is so well publicised.

The health and safety laws have been breached in many areas, again highlights are the welfare facilities. Erm None, ho toilet or washing facilities, canteen or place to store personal belongings. This is critical as the area is contaminated and you can't even was your hands before having lunch. Three of our staff have been off unwell with stomach troubles. I am ok as I am careful but many people have no experience of a site like this.

Next is the CS CS test that you have to take by law in England but not in Scotland. Yes anyone can wander onto a site up here and work with no training or even basic understanding of a work site. But the M74 JV have a rule that everyone on site MUST have this ticket. The result is that someone caught without a ticket(CS CS Card) can be dismissed by the client from the site and the company who they work for possibly blacklisted. Hey not a law as such and no courts involved but it could turn nasty and cast the company work. £17.50 to sit each person on the test is not much on a £1 Million contract.

I have talked of the night shift rules in a previous blog but they are very important and are law. No medical has been offered and we have not signed out on the 'Opt Out' contract. Two very important laws that have been overlooked here and are in place to stop cowboy companies like the one I work for doing what I am doing.

One area I have seen improve is the contact between people, this is mainly due to the contact I had with the MD. I like to know what I am doing on site as I am not daft, I can read and do a good bit. But the total ignorance of the people who I work with is a big reason why the job has went so bad. OK they have the degree and the job but no understanding of what the job involves, You still have to read up and study. If a doctor stops learning then people would still get treated by leaches for everything now.

I have been throughout the project as professional and as helpful as I can but in a company where employees have the extra few initials after the name representing some sort of professional success with no practical knowledge. Can I stay here with them if my hard work is undermined by someone who had daddy to pay for Uni?

Time to move on my thinks and a new tunnel to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment