Saturday 1 December 2012

I am available for children's parties, by the way.

I am available for children's parties, by the way.

Ok so now I am 33 I can now tick of something I wanted to do. Yup, sad but 33 is an age at one point I did not think I would get to. Nothing to do with being a grumpy sod just a little bit of reality as many people do die young (or old as I used to think 33 is).

Why did I think this? Take it back to the early 90s and Bill Hicks is the best stand up in the UK. His popularity was never that high in America but he made it over here in the early 90s. He was big enough to get a full tour and even a live video made here so we could watch his routine over and over. And I did, thankfully channel 4 were a fan and showed him as well.

But sadly he never really took over as the biggest stand up as he died on the 26th February 1994. At the age of 32 (Gulp).

To see a man on stage just a few months back on TV looking well to being dead IS a big shock to a teenager, more so as his routine and personality seemed to be invincible. I liken him to when you get an invincibility pick up in a game where you flash. And as you grow up through your teens his sort of stand up becomes more enjoyable as it is more than just alt stand up or satirical he was a political philosopher. His routines are now read in books and sold on CD.

Eight months after being diagnosed of liver cancer he was dead. He toured the UK and America while still gravely ill and while getting treatment. He did die due to complications from the treatment he was given to cure him of the cancer.

I remember hearing of his death and finding it unbelievable someone could die of cancer in their 30s but the smoking was not all to blame. He did go to AA all the time and years later more truths were published about his life. His drinking problems came on later in his life than many as he was sober till he was 20 or so. But the stand up lifestyle of touring clubs and halls were what made him hit the bottle.

He always was open on everything in his life and said so on stage. With the alt comedians now making money on telly and doing very little live work he was able to take some light in the UK comedy circuit.

As I hit 20 I could see 30 being an age away, I even remember the day I thought that. Then as my 20s trundled along I could see the big 30. It has never been a key age in history we all take the sweet 16, key to the door 21 and the 40s and 50s as a real age to stop and think (and most likely have a party).

But now at 33 I still feel as if I was 20 or even 18. A bit older and with some added grey hairs. Now I can see after 33 and onto 40. I just wish he could have had that chance.
Bill authored a verse to be published about him after he was dead

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit."

No comments:

Post a Comment