Sunday 30 September 2012

Album Covers 2

While looking through my LP collection I have noticed some amazing album covers again. Enjoy.


Queen drummer Roger Taylor made a solo LP in 81, the album was more rock than the anything else. As Queen were doing a dance orientated sound he had to get back to his roots as a rock n roll guy (yup we get that Hot Space was shit). It is a great cover and one of my favorites. It is easy to get, what we think is an alien reading a magazine. But the subject is none other than a human. little unknown fact- The 'alien' writing on the magazine on the front cover consists mainly of upside down Hebrew scripture. The actual words are meaningless.- ha love it.




I don't like this cover. You don't like this cover. We all hate it right? Why is it here? Well it was banned thats why. Can you believe this was banned in Germany? It is true, the country deemed it too graphic. Yeah right as if a jean clad dead man will come alive and eat himself! ha ha so silly and so great I hate it. I hate everything about this cover yet I own it and love it. The music does not matter here as the album cover alone is a seller. I am not a fan of banning anything as people should have a choice and most choose to not buy this. This cover pretty much describes death metal to most people but as a fan I hate it. The band would go on and make more albums with similar covers but the first was a big talking point. The cover caused such a big stink the band were also banned from playing the music from the first three album. Amazing stuff, and I like Germany as well.





Its so simple its brilliant. Again back to my geeky love of photography it really just some nice computer touch up job of a photo. Heroes Square in Budapest is the location and adding in the darkness seems to make sense. I have the LTD LP and it folds out into the best inside artwork I have ever seen. If I could id have it hung on the wall, But that be silly right?





Solo album number... erm he has done a few. Icicle Works front man Ian McNabb makes some amazing solo albums and after a while you run out of ideas for covers. Well take an old photo of yourself in a superhero costume and have that as the cover. I love it, so innocent and so right. This is a man who enjoys making albums so much he lets you into his life and a photo to most people would be hidden away and only shown when the family have had a few.




Lets talk about the music first.... no no lets do as this is the best Hole album! yup music aside the artwork again is a photo. A dress worn by the singer in the 90s on show in a museum. Or as we can all tell a mock up of a museum. But it looks so good and the fact is Courtney did wear it. Compilation albums are great for fans and also artists as you can go off the wall a bit. Never going to be promoted as a main album so it can be a bit mad. But in the madness is some genius, so well thought about and in the mind it should not work.




Ramones bass player does a rap album. Yes it is real but most take it serious and hate the music. In my mind its all fun as is the cover. Dee Dee knows what he is doing and is having fun as much as me. Dress up like a rapper and and smile. Love the cigar in the middle photo it adds way more comedy than a team of Friends head writers.




The older you get the more knowledgeable and traveled you get. Lets make an album of music that sounds like my travels. The cover has to show this as well. Job done! Not sure about the dead rabbit but love the silver skull. I would have a tenner on someone putting on the diving helmet for a giggle. The font for the album is well chosen. Classical music in mind but you are wrong. Redcoats are still worn just in London mind you but is all ok as the empire is no more now and its all just fun. The album ends with 'Ca The Yowes' a personal favorite and one of yours as well if you buy it.





I don't know if this exists but I have this album on CD but with a different cover. This comes up on my media player as the cover. it may be an alternative but it is amazing. bad quality as it is all I can find but documented here for prosperity or until google delete it. A blurry photo of a woman, or is it? Could be a man. Or a mannequin. Reminds me to put my seatbelt on.



Chainsaw a baton and a gun. Cheap Trick are a great band but a band with an imagination and also humor. Why has rick got a cap and the rest sailor style caps? Is he the leader? He does have a chainsaw. I think much gin was used before hand but the patched on the jackets reminds you of the album name. Also a song and a great one at that.




Does this make you want to listen? It should, worked for me. My first Celtic Frost album and a highlight of 00s music. Religion is amazing, more so when you don't believe in it. The cross for the T is why I have this here. Yeah the cover is good and makes you look away. But the name and that cross... Is it a tribute to Black Sabbath (Who had inverted crosses in there albums) or a statement?

No comments:

Post a Comment