Thursday 25 August 2011

Tramd if I do and Tramd if I don’t

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-14648510

The above link is the latest news on the Edinburgh tram joke. Now the cost has been put at £651m at canceling the whole thing.

I was always against the trams in Edinburgh. One reasons being history, as the city much like every other in the country decided to remove them. Reasons are simple, they are slow, prone to breakdown and when they do it holds up all the other trams and the traffic as well. Remember all trams run one way on one track so no overtaking. They can also be very expensive to maintain. Just look at the state of the rail network costs.

Ok history aside what about now? Well the city for me has a very good bus service. One that puts others in Scotland to shame. Whenever I go to the city I am shocked to find how clean and fast the buses are, not to mention cheap as well. I am at the moment £5 to get to my work in Glasgow where in Edinburgh the price is £3.50.

The tram project was to be over three lines but this was changed to one due to cost. The line runs from the airport to the docks at Leith. The city does not need an airport link as the bus service is again fantastic. I have used it and you never wait for a bus in the airport, also they do have many waiting at the airport as well, it is that good a service. Also the journey is ten minutes. Why would anyone what to build a tram to take this service, I have yet to be on a full bus at the airport as most people will drive or take a taxi. Say a family are away on holiday, two adults and two kids. Do they take the bus to town then get on the tram with all the luggage in tow pay for four people to use the bus and tram OR get a taxi?

I have to give credit to the SNP as they were the only party against the tram project. But they did give it a green light.

First was the parliament building now trams. Keep wasting out money MPs.

No comments:

Post a Comment